Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Trekkin' Like the Doo Dah Man

Akha Village near Muang Long

Akha Villagers

Lao Volleyball-No Hands Alklowed

Forest Lunch with Duck, Pork and Chicken Larb and Sticky Rice

My Guides with Village Headman in Center...You were expecting an Indian chief?

Greetings from the People's Republic of Lao

Eating has been a bit of a challenge here, given the lack of English.  I found a Chinese run joint across the street with an English menu, so I've been pretty much eating in only one place.  The food is really good, but not exactly Lao.  The Chinese pretty much own this place and the guide told me that they rent the fields to produce their own crops.  They've even tried to buy one of the mountains adjacent to town, but the government wouldn't allow it.  While this is a lovely, friendly little town, there isn't much to do but trek, so I'll be moving further towards the frontier tomorrow with a trip down to Xieng Kok, the northernmost Lao Mekong Port.  I'll be more or less off the grid for a few days.

4 comments:

  1. Is it worth going out to Long to Trek or go trekking in LMT?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I think it has everything to do with how much time you have. It's an 8 hour RT bus ride from LNT to Long. Unless you travel there with someone, you'll be trekking solo in Long at a higher cost. OTOH, you'll possibly be the only foreigner in a really nice little town, so you do get off the beaten track. The forest trekking itself was similar for me as compared with a Nam Ha trek in LNT area. One significant advantage to Long is that you start your trek in town and you're in the forest in minutes. With LNT, you're looking at a minimum one hour tuk tuk ride to get to the protected area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a hell of a lot of time. Any decent companies in LNT you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I heartily recommend Forest Green(?) run by a Kiwi couple. It's right next to the Dokchampa Hotel. I have no complaints at all about the day I went trekking with them. They seem to have more customers than anyone else, as well. What you need to do is wander about and check the chalkboards in front of various agencies, where they'll show tours available and how many folks have signed up for the next day.

    ReplyDelete