Thursday, November 8, 2012

Cycling Luang Nam Tha Valley


 Superb cycling in the area, with only a few moderate grades in the valley.  Rented a very good quality Trek knock-off  mountain bike with Shimano gears (probably also knock-offs) for only 30,000/day ($3.75).  While less expensive bikes are available, this particular bike was the best rental bike ever....everything worked properly!  Several rental shops along the main drag, but the place I rented from is the only one with a good selection of Chinese knock-off Treks (there's no way anyone could rent a real Trek at the above price).   Given the lack of traffic and fairly wide roads, one can relax and enjoy the scenery.  Many little dirt roads lead to tribal villages and I visited at least a dozen, comprised of six different ethnic groups.  Because of the number of cyclists in the area, a village visit seems not to faze the locals, though I was treated as more of a curiosity the further I got from LNT.  I wish I'd thrown a pair of cycling gloves into my bag and be forewarned that cycling helmets aren't available, at least as far as I could tell.   Stopped midway through the five hour trip and ate lunch at the famous Boat House Landing, which is about 8 kms S of LNT.  Great food and I was able to look at their cookbook which is on my Amazon wishlist.  Finished off the day with an excellent Western style oil massage.  One hour for $6.
Everyone Seems to Work

Shy Lantan Schoolgirls

Elaborate Fishtraps



Akha Schoolgirl

Lots of Rubber Plantations in the Area

Rice Harvest Time

Nice Bike Lanes on Main Highway

No comments:

Post a Comment